I started the mobile by winding strips of citrus fabric around a large embroidery ring (I had one on hand from the pillows I made Maddie – “Maddie’s Pillows“). Then I braided strips of gray and white chevron fabric and created 3 lengths for the hanging triangle. I knotted the braided ends and left them raw.
Cutting the many circles was the time consuming part of the process. I used various new and vintage fabrics to cut [doubles of] 3 different sizes, and then I ironed them onto fusible interfacing [and trimmed around the circles]. Each circle has interfacing between 2 fabric pieces – so the circles can spin because they’re double sided.
Next I laid out the large circles into rows on the table to get ready for sewing – laying them out allowed for some play with the placement. (I did the same with the medium, and then the small circles.)
I used regular white thread and set the machine to a longer stitch length (straight stitch). The distance between each circle was done by eye (about an inch between each one) – I zipped through a circle…then sewed the inch space..then put down another circle and repeated…. I sewed a ribbon to the top circle of each row to tie to the embroidery ring.
When all of the rows were sewn, I tied them to the ring, and I used a piece of ribbon to tie the 3 braided lengths together to form the triangle top. I like that the lengths are similar but not all the same.
Ava loves the end result so we’ll make one together for her another day. She can choose different fabrics and whatever shape she wants.