Over a few evenings, I made the party decorations out of fabrics that I already had (yellow, pinks, and purple), and we ordered some helium balloons as well.
I used the same technique that I would to make a braided throw rug and instead I made various sized flowers to decorate our large cabinet. To start, I cut several fabrics into long strips:
Then I braided 9 separate continuous lengths depending on the size of the flower:
When I finished the braided lengths, I knotted the ends and placed each braid on felt. Starting in the center I wrapped the braid around and around until it was a circle shape and tucked the end under. Then I cut away the extra felt, and used the sewing machine to secure the braided circles to the felt [to save myself some time and effort]. (For a rug I would hand stitch around and around for a clean look.) I like that the flowers have raw edges and a homespun look (literally). (I hot glued the flowers to the cabinet for easy removal. Ava now wants me to put the flowers on the wall next to her bed.)
My other decor project was a circle fabric banner made using the same technique that I used for Maddie’s Fabric Mobile.
The party was a success, and the next day Ava was able to buy a small aquarium for Bubbles.