We moved less than 3 weeks ago, and I’ve just finished setting up our new place. Unpacking on my own during the day with a 3 year old running around was challenging to say the least.
The layout of our new home is different than our previous place so I had to get creative with furniture placement and decor. (I took Space Planning at BCIT many years ago which came in handy with this move….)
As I was dragging furniture around the rooms, and hanging art, I had the idea for this post. I thought of some simple ideas for changing up a home without buying new items – because we need to get away from buying stuff to fill up our spaces. When we move we need to “move” our things into new spots….
My ideas and what I changed in our new space:
* Hang curtains in different rooms than before – I switched our living room and master bedroom curtains
* Hang art and pictures in new rooms – I put up art in our dining room that had previously been in a hallway
* Have 2 couch slipcovers and use the one that you haven’t had out in awhile – we have a grey cover and a white cover for our Ikea couch and I put the white one on
* Place armoires and hutches along different walls – I placed a small vintage hutch
(that holds board & card games) in a hallway but it was previously in our dining room; I put a set of glass fronted cabinets in the master bedroom that were previously in the dining room (they now house books and mementos)
* Remove closet doors and hang a rod and curtains to allow for more space in front of closets – I’ve hung vintage Sarees in place of closet doors in the girls’ bedroom to allow for more play space
* Put dressers in closets to allow for more wall space in the bedrooms – for years I’ve placed our dressers in the bedroom closets to give the girls more play space, and to allow for more overall space in the bedrooms
* Use vertical space – hang shelves inside closets as high as you can (place items you use less frequently up top); in the kitchen I’ve placed cake & cookie plates, a tea set, party trays, and cheese platters/plates on the very top of our cabinets (they look great on display but are easy to access)
* Purge & donate, or store what doesn’t fit in the new space. Don’t be attached to the stuff and just let it go. I had to give up 2 large cabinets because our new place couldn’t fit them – so I had to get very creative with our storage of craft materials, photo albums, office supplies, vases, books, etc. I had to let some items go and others I have at various locations to store for our next space (thank you family for holding some items for me).